(status bar message)
Image Placeholder

Search:
Advanced Search

RE: Crankshaft oilways
Post a reply | Start a new discussion | Main Index | Help

Posted by compton (UK) on Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 03:12
    - in reply to: Crankshaft oilways posted by alan lindsay on Monday, January 11, 2021 at 22:06

Now here's a thing.

I believe that an extra oilway drilling in the crank and enlarged oil feeds into the pump aren't necessary. 

But they do no harm and they might improve things.

My understanding is that the extra oilway in the crank was introduced my messrs Pick/Peckett to try to improve the longevity of main bearings in some triples that seemed to get through them within 20K miles - whilst others would see toward 100k. 

I think the jury is still out on that one.

Enlarging of the feed was due to cold starts and the pump suction trying to collapse the feed pipe from the oil tank. You only see this in winter and if you warm the bike before riding, then this phenomenon wont manefest itself. Whether it will cause a real issue, the jury is still out.

But both of these concerns can be alleviated by using an oil with a lower winter rating. These weren't available back in the day when the issues were first highlighted.

My suggestion is that whilst you have the thing apart and if you have the money, time and inclination. Then there' is certainly no harm. 

But don't loose any sleep over it. There are plenty of high mileage triples without these mods that aren't falling apart.

Steve